Meet the 2020-2021 Peer Experts
Camryn Bellish | Team Captain
Major: Health Sciences | Minors: Psychology and Theatre
Major: Accounting | Minor: General Psychology
Major: Neuroscience | Minor: Substance Misuse and Addiction
Major: Psychology | Minor: Business
Peer Expert Job Description
- Work with students providing explanations or concepts and guidance on practice problems but will NOT do homework problems for the student.
- Peer Experts are scheduled to work 5-8 hours per week in the Learning Lab.
- Peer Experts present at least one review session each semester to a group of over 100 students. Review sessions take place in the evenings before each of the Psychology 2220 exams.
- Peer Experts assist in Psychology 2220 classes 1-3 times each semester. Psychology 2220 classes are typically on MWF in autumn and spring semesters.
- After reporting to work promptly at the scheduled time, Peer Experts are expected to be helpful, courteous, and respectful to students at all times.
- Peer Experts work with a student for one or two problems at a time and then to move on to other students who need assistance.
- Peer Experts provide feedback to students and offer an opportunity for discussion and exploration of concepts in data analysis.
- Peer Experts encourage students in the Learning Lab to work with and learn from each other.
- Peer Experts attend in-person trainings and complete weekly practice problems to review concepts and sharpen their explanatory skills. Particularly in autumn semester, Peer Experts should expect to spend 1-2 hours per week on training.
- All Peer Experts must be available on the Friday before classes start in Autumn semester for a mandatory training and orientation.
Peer Expert Qualifications
- Peer Experts must be knowledgeable about data analysis content covered in Psychology 2220.
- Peer Experts should possess excellent communication and listening skills.
- Peer Experts should be skilled in using SPSS and Excel and be willing to learn more advanced skills.
- Peer Experts should have a patient, helpful, caring, and sensitive demeanor and a positive attitude when working with students.
- To apply, you must be an undergraduate student at Ohio State in AU21 and SP22.
- Interested students apply to be a Peer Expert for the upcoming academic year during the prior spring semester.
- Following the online application, applicants for the Peer Expert positions complete an online Skills Test covering content from Psychology 2220.
- Selected applicants are invited to interview.
- After interviews, applicants may be offered a position as a Peer Expert for the upcoming academic year.
- During the summer, Peer Experts complete online training and readings to sharpen their data analysis and tutoring skills.
- On the Friday before classes start in autumn semester, Peer Experts must attend a mandatory orientation before starting work in the Learning Lab.
Peer Expert Compensation
- Beginning Peer Experts are paid at an hourly rate of $8.75.
- Peer Experts who return to work in the Learning Lab in succeeding years may receive an increase in their hourly rate.
Check back SP22 for information on the 2022-2023 application.
Questions? Email email@example.com