Would You Like to be a Peer Expert?
Meet the 2019-2020 Peer Experts
Major: Health Sciences
Minors: Psychology and Theatre
Fun Fact: I love musicals!
Paige Butauski | Team Captain
Minor: Cognitive Science
Fun Fact: I won prom queen in high school!
Minor: Pharmaceutical Sciences
Fun Fact: I went to Peru this summer on a medical service trip!
Minor: Computer & Information Science
Fun Fact: I like pineapple on my pizza.
Major: Cognitive Neuroscience
Fun Fact: I like to do calligraphy!
Fun Fact: I love playing Dungeons and Dragons!
Fun Fact: I played ice hockey through high school and still play intramural hockey during the winter.
Minor: Clinical Psychology and Business
Fun Fact: I'm a fitness instructor on campus!
Megan Wetterau | Resource Manager
Fun Fact: I've broken my chin twice at pools.
- Work with students providing explanations or concepts and guidance on practice problems but will NOT do homework problems for the student.
- Peer Experts are scheduled to work 5-8 hours per week in the Learning Lab.
- Peer Experts present at least one review session each semester to a group of over 100 students. Review sessions take place in the evenings before each of the Psychology 2220 exams.
- Peer Experts assist in Psychology 2220 classes 1-3 times each semester. Psychology 2220 classes are typically on MWF in autumn and spring semesters.
- After reporting to work promptly at the scheduled time, Peer Experts are expected to be helpful, courteous, and respectful to students at all times.
- Peer Experts work with a student for one or two problems at a time and then to move on to other students who need assistance.
- Peer Experts provide feedback to students and offer an opportunity for discussion and exploration of concepts in data analysis.
- Peer Experts encourage students in the Learning Lab to work with and learn from each other.
- Peer Experts attend in-person trainings and complete weekly practice problems to review concepts and sharpen their explanatory skills. Particularly in autumn semester, Peer Experts should expect to spend 1-2 hours per week on training.
- All Peer Experts must be available on the Friday before classes start in Autumn semester for a mandatory training and orientation.
Peer Expert Qualifications
- Peer Experts must be knowledgeable about data analysis content covered in Psychology 2220.
- Peer Experts should possess excellent communication and listening skills.
- Peer Experts should be skilled in using SPSS and Excel and be willing to learn more advanced skills.
- Peer Experts should have a patient, helpful, caring, and sensitive demeanor and a positive attitude when working with students.
- To apply, you must be an undergraduate student at Ohio State in AU20 and SP21.
- Interested students apply to be a Peer Expert for the upcoming academic year during the prior spring semester (March).
- Following the online application, applicants for the Peer Expert positions complete an online Skills Test covering content from Psychology 2220.
- Selected applicants are invited to interview in April.
- After interviews, applicants may be offered a position as a Peer Expert for the upcoming academic year.
- During the summer, Peer Experts complete online training and readings to sharpen their data analysis and tutoring skills.
- On the Friday before classes start in autumn semester, Peer Experts must attend a mandatory orientation before starting work in the Learning Lab.
Peer Expert Compensation
- Beginning Peer Experts are paid at an hourly rate of $8.75.
- Peer Experts who return to work in the Learning Lab in succeeding years may receive an increase in their hourly rate.
Complete our Peer Expert Application.
- Applications open in early spring semester 2020.
- You can start this application and return later to finish it. Your answers will be automatically saved.
- We review all applications after the March 20 deadline.
- On March 21, applicants are contacted with more information about taking a Skills Test over concepts in data analysis during the week of March 23-30. The test is on Carmen and will give us an indication of your expertise in data analysis in psychology.
- Following the Skills Test, you may be contacted for a follow-up interview during the week of April 13-17..
- Please email Learning Lab Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, with any questions or concerns.