Promotes workforce skill development
- Creative thinking and problem-solving
- Project management
- Interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Writing and presentation skills
- Managing difficult situations and high stress environments
- Start and carry out projects with limited information or experience
- Ability to adapt to change
- Understand how to use and interpret data through statistics
- Biologically oriented courses
- Tolerance of ambiguity
Enhances individual and societal quality of life
- Knowing psychological principles to help people raise healthier children and create more functional families
- Understanding the roots of prejudice to make us more effective navigators of human differences
- Exploring behavioral and psychological interventions to improve health
- Knowing organizational theory to help businesses improve efficiencies and effectiveness
Gain a better understanding of yourself, others, and the world around you
- Predict and understand the behavior of individuals and groups
- Have insight into problematic behaviors
- Promote values that build trust and enhance interpersonal relationships
Study a hub science
- Psychology is one of the seven disciplines in which scientific research is most often cited by other fields
- Scientific contributions in psychology advance not only the discipline but many other scientific fields
STEM major with a liberal arts perspective
- Interdisciplinary across natural and social sciences
- Covers both scientific methods and human differences
- Provides access to a broad range of career fields
Strong preparation for those seeking graduate or professional school
*Information taken from:
American Psychological Association. (2016). Guidelines for the undergraduate psychology major: Version 2.0. American Psychologist, 71(2), 102-111.
Halonen, J. S. (2011). Are there too many psychology majors? [White paper].
Cacioppo, J. (2007). Psychology is a hub science.
[pdf] - Some links on this page are to .pdf files. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please contact email@example.com.